Pages

October 19, 2010

Holiday Shopping Tricks: Show & Tell

But it's only October!!!!


Yes- it is October; that's exactly why I'm telling you  to get a kick start to your holiday shopping, now. It will help you budget out your gifts, you'll feel more relaxed during the holiday crunch time, and you'll have the opportunity to find exactly what you want to buy for your family.


Many of us are on some sort of budget. You guys all know the discount designer sites I frequent (Love the designer, Hate the price? & Bargain sites; Part 2), but there are a few other tricks that work for me.

  • Sign up for email alerts from the stores you shop at- Ann Taylor, Piperlime, Banana Republic, Bloomingdales, and even Saks send out discount codes quite a bit. 
    • In fact, I just received a Saks discount code today good through October 24, 2010. 20% off Friends and Family when you insert code Friends7.  
  • Like I said before, start your shopping now. Don't become a frantic mess when your credit card bills are sky high in January. If you make your lists and start perusing the stores and online, chances are you'll find some good deals. 
    • Example: Your sister/mother/friend wants a new chunky necklace, like this one:MARC BY MARC JACOBS "Pearlie" Cluster Necklace, 18"L but the price tag is $178 for this Marc Jacobs beauty. I bet if you start looking now, you'll find this necklace or one VERY similar by the time the holidays come around and maybe even get a deal way beforehand.
  • Leads me to my next point. The inter-webs are your friend. Google the make and style number of things you are looking for. You WILL find it on the cheap (er). 
  • Make your gifts. Now, I am not of the crafty-sewing-machine-handmade make; but some of you are- your grandmother need a scarf? Show her you care by making her something.
  • Or, just be creative; put together a spa gift set, similar to what I wrote about in Weekend Pampering: Beauty Product Must Haves. Buy your items ahead of time, and they don't need to be super pricey. Buy a basket, some filler, some relaxing teas, and maybe make a mix of calming music. Not only is it thoughtful, it's totally usable. 
  • Want something totally unique? Try Etsy. Your recipient will have something made just for them. Personalized signs, handkerchiefs, jewelery (hmmm, perhaps you want that necklace I posted- I bet someone could make it), or even clothes- made just for your person in mind.
I want to hear from you guys! What are your tricks and tips to save on the holidays?

1 comment:

  1. I always start early! And I do as much as I can online.

    It's funny, I don't mind the malls during the holiday rush - IF I'M ALREADY DONE SHOPPING. Then I can just relax and not have to fight my way through the crowds with armfuls of bags and packages. My favorite thing is to be all done with shopping, having everything delivered directly to my front door, and then when a friend asks, "Can you come shopping with me?" I'm free to go with him/her and just hang out and relax and enjoy the music & decorations.

    Don't forget also - Chanukah's early again this year (December 1) - so if you have to buy for both like I do, you can't wait 'til December. :D

    ReplyDelete